
Today is Friday and I slept in until 10! It felt really good! I guess I needed it. Steve is on his way home from his golf trip at Oakmont CC. I guess it was a great day, something he will remember forever. Last night Michael and I watched the Prime time interview with Randy Pausch. Michael recorded it for me, so we watched it before the Shark week programs started last night.
To say I cried would be an understatement, I bawled. Michael cried too, but I don't know that he would admit to it, it was great to watch it with him. To those that don't know about Randy he was 47 and diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and given 6 months to live. He was a professor at Carnegie Mellon university and his last lecture was a hit on the internet. He was married and had three children. He died last Friday, so Primetime ran more to the interview they had done. I have his book "The Last Lecture" and brought it out to Boise. It is one of those books that everyone should read, but you don't want to give away, because you keep rereading it.
Randy's main theme to the book is to live your childhood dreams, or even adult dreams. He talks about the importance of overcoming obstacles, of enabling the dreams of others, of seizing every moment. "We cannot change the hand we are dealt, just how we play the hand". "Life is a gift, live each day as the "present" it is!"
"Obstacles aren't put in your path to keep you out, but to see how bad you want it".
The book is filled with these gems. This is a book I will keep on my coffee table and periodically pick up to read. I think it is good for teens to read. The only one that can pursue your dream is you. I was glad Michael watched the program with me, I hope some of the gems stick with him.
This made me reflect on Steve's golf trip. How he was so looking forward to it and practiced his shots. I need to tell him I'm glad he did it, that he was supposed to do it. I'm glad Megs is pursuing her childhood dream of working with the whales,and all the passion she has for these creatures. If Michael wants to play soccer in College, he needs to go for it, and give it all he's got. I want to be able to encourage the ones I love to "go for it"! So if there is something you dream of doing, do it! (Jen I hope you are still writing your book!)
Love and prayers to all..



3 comments:
I have 15 pages... so what is your dream??
congrats to Michael's team. Jo's had a tie today.
Hey Jackie-
Joelle's trainer has her doing core stuff- crunches with an exercise ball and also standing on wobblers. Micheal might like that better than yoga. The wobble thing is like a half ball that she stands on on one foot- it helps her core, balance and her ankles. It is really pretty cool.
Hi
I am planning on buying that book. I have heard alot about it.
Post a Comment