
Today is Friday. I have Fridays off. I have nothing that "has to get done today". I am in a reflecting mood, some might call it a "lazy day". I slept in, read the paper, surfed the web, general pick up around the house. I made banana muffins (from scratch), and now decided to write a post.
As Mother's day is coming up soon, I'm reflecting on being a mom. I think over the last 20 years being a mom has lost some respect. Being a mom is not enough, by societies standards, but yet what is more rewarding. I work part time by choice. I get no paid vacation and no "benefits". I see working part time as the best benefit of all. I can't imagine what it is like to work full time and be a mom full time. I consider myself a full time mom. I get the benefits of being a full time mom. I can make special treats, pick my kids up from school (on my days off), just being able to be there for them. On nights that I work I'm exhausted when I get home. I can only imagine what other mom's feel or have to deal with by working full time.
I've always enjoyed this quote: "A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be a different because I was important in the life of a child". I've truly experienced the most joy from being a mom. I've never expected my children to be "perfect", then in a weird sort of way I wouldn't be needed. I've just always want my children to know they are loved and I want them to strive to be the best they can be at whatever path they choose to follow. Steve and I have always prayed for our family. Every morning I take Michael to school. I turn the radio off and pray for that day. I truly feel you can't under estimate the power of prayer!
I am experiencing a different stage of "mom hood". I know I will never not be a mom, no matter how old my kids get. I have had a great example to follow, in that my mom is always there when she is needed. People might think I didn't do enough for me in the past 20 years or so, but I see it differently. I did just what I always wanted and dreamed of doing.
So I guess this post is a tribute to "being a mom", I see it as the most important "job" in the world!
As Mother's day is coming up soon, I'm reflecting on being a mom. I think over the last 20 years being a mom has lost some respect. Being a mom is not enough, by societies standards, but yet what is more rewarding. I work part time by choice. I get no paid vacation and no "benefits". I see working part time as the best benefit of all. I can't imagine what it is like to work full time and be a mom full time. I consider myself a full time mom. I get the benefits of being a full time mom. I can make special treats, pick my kids up from school (on my days off), just being able to be there for them. On nights that I work I'm exhausted when I get home. I can only imagine what other mom's feel or have to deal with by working full time.
I've always enjoyed this quote: "A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world may be a different because I was important in the life of a child". I've truly experienced the most joy from being a mom. I've never expected my children to be "perfect", then in a weird sort of way I wouldn't be needed. I've just always want my children to know they are loved and I want them to strive to be the best they can be at whatever path they choose to follow. Steve and I have always prayed for our family. Every morning I take Michael to school. I turn the radio off and pray for that day. I truly feel you can't under estimate the power of prayer!
I am experiencing a different stage of "mom hood". I know I will never not be a mom, no matter how old my kids get. I have had a great example to follow, in that my mom is always there when she is needed. People might think I didn't do enough for me in the past 20 years or so, but I see it differently. I did just what I always wanted and dreamed of doing.
So I guess this post is a tribute to "being a mom", I see it as the most important "job" in the world!



2 comments:
Nice post mom! I hope you know you are loved and appreciated. I miss you and can't thank you enough for all you did for our family.
I agree that being a mom is the most fulfilling job there is. I remember also having to work full time and I have always felt that Jen got the short end of the stick because I went to work when she was in 6th grade and I know I wasn't always there when she need me, simply because I was exhausted after a hard day at work. If I could have chosen to stay home at that time I would have, but economics was the reason i went to work, as I know it is for most working women today. I think one reason I pushed my girls to have a degree in something was because it was so difficult for me to have to go to work after 22 yrs of being a stay at home mom. I had no real skills to fall back on just cooking and running a house so there was no where to go but food service which is very hard work and I do not recommend it.WE did get throught those years and today I look at our children and feel that we have been truly blessed. We are soooo very proud of all of them and are fortunate to have all of you in our lives.
Jackson I think you and Steve have done a fabulous job and I agree prayers do help alot. xxxooo
Post a Comment